The MovNat Level 1 (MCT) Certification Trainer Certificate Course is an introductory course on methodology, concepts, background and movements. The program includes lectures on: Natural Movement concepts and modalities, Essential movements, coaching & teaching strategies, and dietary & lifestyle recommendations.
The movement training include small group sessions in which attendees are instructed & evaluated in MovNat movement techniques. These small training sessions are essential for engaging in dialogue and critique of movements. Methods are discussed for optimizing both an individuals movements and how to instruct others.
Best practices are discussed at the end of the workshop, as well as strategies for teaching Natural Movement in multiple environments and scaling for any fitness level.
The Level 1 Certification Course is an introduction to MovNat’s modality and foundational movements. The course includes lecture, movement instruction, as well as written and physical evaluation.
As an introductory level education on Natural Movement. It is designed to:
• Provide trainers with a better knowledge and understanding to continue their own Natural Movement practice.
• Provide the foundation & skills necessary to being teaching Natural Movement to others.
Potential MCT’s should view the Level I Certification Course as the beginning of the journey. The course is not designed to be a comprehensive or all-encompassing education in Natural Movement. Rather it provides a basic certification to begin teaching, as well as the foundation to continue one’s own movement practice.
• Speak and explain the core principles of Natural Movement
• Understand essential movement concepts such as body-weight shift, point of support, etc
• Be able to evaluate, verbalize, and correct movement technique
• Teach Natural Movement safely and effectively.
The evaluation has three components:
• Movement technique
• Coaching ability
• Written Test Evaluation
Instructors will evaluate your movement technique throughout the weekend. The complete list of movements that will be covered in the Level 1 Certification is listed on this page. As soon as participants register, they will be given access to the video library which contains a full series of instructional videos for each movement. Learning and practicing these movements is essential for success at MovNat Certification.
The coaching ability is evaluated through video sample at the Level 1 Certification. Based on a test scenario, your ability to identity movement inefficiency and effectively correct movement patterns will be evaluated. Trainers will be expected to be able to verbalize and demonstrate proper technique on all Level 1 movements.
After registration, participants will be sent the MovNat Trainer Manual. Studying this manual is essential to passing the written evaluation.
The written evaluation has been designed to guarantee a competency and fluency with the concepts and ideas of Natural Movement. As a trainer, it is essential to be able to communicate these concepts to the public. The test contains 25 multiple-choice questions. A passing score of 80% or better is required. All of the test questions come directly from the lectures, video library, and the MovNat Trainer Manual.
Sample test questions
What are the 4 grips?
A. Crossed fingers grip, Wrist grip, Gable grip, S-grip.
B. Wrist grip, V-grip, Crossed fingers grip, Plough grip.
C. Gable grip, V-grip, Plough grip, Crossed fingers grip.
D. S-grip, Crossed fingers grip, Swing grip, Wrist grip.
The following description is about which technique?
This technique is primarily used after a depth jump (or a jump from height). It is useful in dispersing a significant amount of the impact forces throughout the entire kinetic chain, rather than leaving them localized primarily in the lower body.
A. Squat Landing
B. Slap Landing
C. Swing Landing
D. Rotational Landing
List of techniques covered by Level 1 Certification
General running technique
General balancing technique
Leg swing™ jump
Single-handed side vault
Double-handed side vault
Forward Swing traverse
Side Swing traverse™
Rotational swing throw
Rotational swing catch
Upcoming Level 1 certifications
Resources & Documents
The Level 1 Certification Manual is designed to bring you up to speed with the fundamental principles & terminology that govern movement and MovNat coaching techniques. Additionally, it covers the coaching techniques required to begin teaching movement effectively and safely. The Manual is an essential resource both for certification and your continued practice.
The manual begins with an extensive discussion of movement itself, how it is practiced, and what it’s components are. In particular we cover topics such as:
- Movement Effectiveness / Efficiency principles
- Mindfulness & body signals
- Kinetic preservation
- Technique variation & adaptability
- Formation of technique (position – sequence – tension)
- Points & Base of Support
- Body Weight Shifting & Transfer
- Static & Dynamic balance
Each category of movement is further explained and discussed in a corresponding module. Techniques, biomechanical theory, skill progressions, safety concerns, and a series of drills are covered in each module.
Upon registering, you will also have access to the Level 1 Progression Manual on your account. This manual will identify the key steps (i.e. progressions) to learning and teaching each skill covered in the course.
Upon completing your registration, you will also be given access to our extensive video training library with nearly eight hours of instructional footage. This excellent resource is designed to make your certification process as rewarding as possible. If you register today, you can start training today.
These videos take you step by step through each movement in the Level 1 Certification. Watch Erwan Le Corre explain the principles behind each movement you will be tested on. You can train right along with Erwan as he goes step by step through each movement.
If you’d like to go the extra mile, these additional resources will be helpful to go deeper in your journey.
Cert Prep – Guide by Danny Clark, MovNat Performance Director and Master Instructor.
How to Prepare for a MovNat Certification – Advice from our Team Instructors.
From the Ground Up – 12 part video series, by Danny Clark, MovNat Master Instructor.
Restoration Series 1 – Primary – Follow along, voice over video practice.
Natural Movement Video Library – visual examples of many natural movements.
MAPS Newsletter – Weekly MovNat workouts delivered via email.
The Practice of Natural Movement Book – The definitive guide to Natural Movement® Fitness.
Natural Movement Fundamentals – E-course by Danny Clark and Katy Bowman.
MovNat Online Coaching – The absolute best way to be prepared for the event, and integrate the teachings after the event to ensure maximum retention.
We trust that if you make use of these extensive resources, your certification experience will be a complete success.
FAQ & Terms
Q: May I attend the Level 1 Certification even if I am NOT a health or fitness professional or don’t want to get certified?
Yes! The Level 1 Certification was created for both professionals and enthusiasts alike, and anyone can participate. MovNat founder, Erwan Le Corre, said it best: “The way I originally designed the level 1 was to enable many to train themselves and practice on their own better, but also to start sharing with people around them the power of Natural Movement® thanks to the proven effectiveness of the MovNat method. You do not have to be a fitness professional and not even to consider becoming one to pass it. All you need is the intention of learning, bettering your own movement, body and mind, and the heart condition which is to share with others the beauty and potency of what you have learned yourself.” Many of our students are not professionals and simply want the “full experience” to learn how to move better.
Q: What are the requirements to earn the Level 1 Certification?
To become a MovNat Certified Trainer, you must be at least 18 years of age, hold a current CPR/AED certification, and successfully pass the following three evaluations:
- Movement Technique – Instructors will evaluate your movement technique of the Level 1 skills throughout the weekend. Learning and practicing these movements is essential for success at the MovNat Certification. There are extensive instructional materials in the MovNat Trainer Manual and in the Video Library.
- Coaching Ability – Instructors will evaluate your ability to coach others using a test scenario in a group format. Candidates will be expected to be able to verbalize and demonstrate proper technique for all Level 1 movements as well as identify and correct inefficient movement patterns.
- Written Test Evaluation – The written evaluation has been designed to guarantee a competency and fluency with the concepts and ideas of Natural Movement®. As a trainer, it is essential to be able to communicate these concepts to clients and the public. The test contains 25 multiple choice questions, and a passing score of 80% or better is required. All of the test questions come directly from the lectures, video library, and the MovNat Trainer Manual.
Failure in any area of evaluation will result in no certification being issued to the participant. However, there is a 3-month grace period for completing any incomplete or failed tests. Upon passing, a certificate will be issued backdated to the date of the event. Also, logistics permitting, the candidates who fail some of the tests might be allowed to re-take the tests during the same weekend. We want you to succeed!
Q: May I attend without testing or pursuing certification?
A: Absolutely. You may opt out of the certification and/or any of the tests.
Q: How difficult is this program? Is it really accessible to all ages and ability levels?
A: The Level 1 Certification is an accessible, but tough course, and you should expect to be challenged mentally and physically if you want to earn the L1 MCT credential. If you take your preparation seriously and are willing to consistently practice – even if you are unfit, older in age, or struggle with certain movements – you have a good chance of earning this certification. However, this is not an easy certification to earn, and some people don’t pass, usually because they are not prepared. This is why we provide so many helpful resources as part of the program along with many other ways to support your journey toward better movement (e.g. MovNat E-courses, MovNat Online Coaching, etc.). Please note that our certification team instructors are experienced with helping people of all ages and abilities, and they provide a safe environment for improving your movement skills, regardless of your current ability. Also, our performance standards for the physical tests are adjusted based on age and gender. Furthermore, in rare cases, we provide testing exemptions for students with chronic, debilitating injuries (on a case-by-case basis).
Q: What if I can’t perform some of the movements or fail to pass the testing requirements in order to get certified? Is the training and instruction scalable to my ability level?
A: Yes. Every movement and protocol can be adjusted to meet your individual needs. If you are uncomfortable or unable to perform a certain movement, your instructor will provide an alternative that is more suitable to your ability. You will never be pushed to do anything too hard, unsafe, or that you’re uncomfortable with. Also, in the event that you fail some of the tests during your certification, you will be granted a 3-month grace period to re-test after the event has concluded. We want you to succeed, and we’ll do everything we can to support you.
Q: How long will my new certification be valid?
A: Your new certification will be valid for 2 years from the date that it is processed. This is to ensure all MovNat Certified Trainers knowledge and skills are sharp, that you continue to meet our standards, and are up to date with current editions of educational materials.
Q: Is there a deadline to register for this course?
A: No. You may sign up anytime. However, space is limited and many of our courses sell out, sometimes months in advance.
Please email us at email@example.com with any additional questions you have regarding MovNat Certification.
PRE-REQUISITES FOR CERTIFICATION
Certification candidates must be at least 18 years old and CPR/AED certified. If you do not have a CPR certification within 90 days after your course has concluded, you will void your MovNat L1 Certification.
The default language for the Level 1 Course is English. However, some of our Team Instructors are multi-lingual. Also, depending on the local logistics, some courses might have a local MovNat Trainer who could translate some lectures. The written exam is always in English, though.
- All participants are required to register for the Level 1 Certification at MovNat.com.
- Payment plans are available. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to set one up.
- Arrangements to pay by check or other method are permissible. Please email us at email@example.com to obtain specific details.
- We are unable to accommodate refunds. However, transfers are available, subject to limitations. See below for more information.
MovNat is a US-based company and all our prices are listed in US dollars. All our sales are final (workshops, certifications, retreats, etc.).
MovNat does not accommodate refunds for event registrations (i.e. Workshops, Certifications, Retreats, Specialty Events, etc.).
There are no exceptions to this refund policy.
If you are a registered participant for an upcoming MovNat event, you may transfer your registration to another similar event, at no charge, if the request is made at least 7 days in advance. You may also transfer your registration to another person, if you prefer.
If there are unforeseen, extenuating circumstances (e.g. sickness, family emergency, etc.), you may transfer your registration to another similar event, if the request is made at least 24 hours prior to the event’s start date. There is a $50 processing fee associated with last minute transfers.
We reserve the right to cancel any MovNat event at our sole discretion. If we must cancel an event, you will receive either a full refund or the option to transfer to another similar event. We will make every effort to notify you of any cancellations at least 2 weeks prior to your event’s date, unless there is an unexpected disaster/calamity, which renders our event and the surrounding environment hazardous to any participants. If you must book travel and accommodations prior to this, we highly recommend you purchase travel insurance.
Note: For more information, please see our Terms and Conditions.
USE OF MOVNAT CERTIFICATE AND TRADEMARK
- Both “MovNat” and “Natural Movement” are USPTO registered trademarks. MovNat LLC owns the exclusive right of use in commerce of both trademarks. The use in commerce of both the MovNat and Natural Movement trademarks by MovNat Certified Trainers is subject to specific limitations (see below).
- For information regarding becoming a MovNat/Natural Movement licensed facility, please click here.
MOVNAT CERTIFIED TRAINER RIGHTS & PRIVILEGES:
- List your trainer certification on personal business materials, as follows: your name, MovNat Certified Trainer (or MovNat Natural Movement Trainer)
- Designate that you are a “MovNat Certified Trainer” or “MovNat Natural Movement Trainer” on your website, business cards, and all promotional materials.
- Use the MovNat Certified Trainer logo which will be available upon completion of the course.
- Access to the private MCT Facebook Group.
- Being listed in our MCT locator on movnat.com.
- (Limited) Right to use the “MovNat / Natural Movement Certified Trainer” title and logo on your business cards, website or printed material.
MovNat is here to support you in your quest to spread the word about the practice. However, there are a few limitations that are in place to avoid brand confusion and promote the growth of a reputable gym/class licensing program.
- Use of the MovNat/Natural Movement trademarks and graphics can be used in a business context with permission. Please ask us for guidelines beforehand to ensure optimal and mutually beneficial usage.
- Linking to MovNat’s content is acceptable, encouraged, and appreciated.
- Unless you are enrolled in our licensing program, you cannot use the MovNat or Natural Movement trademark and name in your business name, videos, web address, class name, or facility name.
- Any MovNat videos you develop for your website must be high-quality, professional and approved by MovNat, LLC.
Natural Movement® is for everyone. MovNat endorses the principles of equal opportunity. The MovNat Certification Program is available to all participants regardless of age, race, religion, gender, national origin, veteran status, sexual preference or orientation.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any additional questions you have regarding MovNat Certification.