Learn Practical Living Skills by Empowering the
Join us for a two-day workshop with 2 respected leaders in their fields. Learn the foundations of Natural Movement Fitness with Danny Clark, COO & Performance Director of MovNat. Then, spend a day learning the basics of Permaculture from Ben Falk, TEDx speaker, author of “The Resilient Farm and Homestead“, and owner of Whole Systems Design.
Note: The first 10 participants to register will receive $100 off! (UPDATE: The first 10 spots sold out within a few days, but there’s still plenty of room at this special event!)
Who Is This Retreat For?
This retreat is open to everyone, no matter your age (kids are welcome, with parental consent!), experience level, or current movement abilities (seniors are welcome too!).
We will be focusing on introducing you to two life changing and perception altering practices: Natural Movement Fitness and Permaculture.
What do Natural Movement Fitness and Permaculture have in common?
They’re both big on self-reliance, self-sufficiency and sustainability through the understanding of systems tied to vitality. This workshop will teach you how to become self-sufficient in your ability to move naturally, perform physically, and live more in tune with the mind-body-environment connection. It’ll also give you an introduction to more self-sufficient, sustainable, natural small scale food production practices.
What’s The Agenda & What’s Included?
Instruction, camping and food is included in the price.
Day 1 = lunch + dinner
Day 2 = breakfast + lunch
Note: you will need to bring your own camping equipment, but lodging upgrades are available. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
For Day 1, we’ll be rebuilding and refining basic movement patterns that most modern humans have lost, using MovNat’s “from the ground up” approach. We will be out in nature most (if not all) of the day in the lovely natural setting of Satoyama Farm in Vermont, learning the foundations of this lost practice through a safe, yet challenging method. Danny will emphasize practical, mindful movement and progressive, safe skill acquisition: particularly ground movement, get-ups, and locomotion patterns. This practice will have clear benefits that you will feel immediately for overall physiological health, sustainable fitness, and reconnection to the child-like enjoyment of movement.
- 6 hours of professional instruction, including short lunch and snack breaks
- Safe, step-by-step progressions for all ages, abilities, and fitness levels
- MovNat’s principles, and how they will change how you think about the way you move
- Understanding MovNat’s approach to developing movement skill and improving fitness
- Special emphasis on ground movement for restoring stability and mobility
- Introduction to each of MovNat’s movement domains, from crawling to climbing
- How to incorporate MovNat into your existing fitness routine
- How to incorporate MovNat into an at-home practice or busy lifestyle
- Supplementary materials to help you implement your Natural Movement practice
Wherein Day 1 focused on regenerating our body-mind system, Day 2 will focus on revitalizing the larger context of human habitat – the landscape which supports us. Ben will overview Permaculture – a design system for restoring landscapes, which is patterned based on natural systems and understanding the most regenerative examples of indigenous land uses around the world. We’ll spend the day touring his farm and homestead exploring how food, medicine, fiber and fuel is produced while ecosystem health is actually improved.
- Slowing, spreading and sinking stormwater for groundwater recharge and the regeneration of long lost springs in the landscape. We will check out multiple new springs developed on Ben’s farm as well as pond systems developed for fish, wildlife, microclimate benefits and recreational uses.
- How tree crops and hedgerow plantings enhance microclimate within a landscape to extend and improve the growing season.
- High performance passive dwelling strategies such as wood heating (including hot water production) and other home design considerations such as edible landscaping around the home.
- Wildlife improvement strategies – “growing wildlife” and addressing local habitat limitations for wildlife health.
- Home garden approaches for growing one’s food in small spaces with limited time.
There will be plenty of hands-on learning in this interactive experience including tree planting, grafting practice, and deep soil loosening with broad-forks.
So, be prepared to get moving and get messy!
Is This Event Right For You?
You will learn the essential connection between your basic movement patterns, your overall vitality, and your environment. As your body first reawakens to it’s natural movement abilities, your mind will follow along in expansion. You’ll learn to see opportunities for movement all around you…most obviously in your ability to play an active role in self-sustenance and stewardship of your ecosystem. You’ll go back to your life with a new understanding. You’ll go back different.
Each day begins at 9am and ends at 4pm.
The farm is located near Rochester, Vermont in the heart of the Green Mountains area. The address will be emailed to participants 1 month before the event.
Nearest airports: Burlington International (BVT, 80 minutes), Lebanon Municipal (LEB, 40 min), and Manchester-Boston Regional (MHT, 2 hrs)
Please bring water, snacks, clothing you can move easily in and minimalist shoes. It is also recommended to bring a small notebook & writing implement.
- Enjoy fresh spring water from the site to fuel your experience each day
- Optional wood fired sauna hydrotherapy session with Erica Koch, ND on Saturday evening
“We connect to our body through movement because it sustains a high-quality, empowered life, and we learn to tend to the land and plants and grow for the same reason.” – Erwan Le Corre, MovNat Founder