MovNat Survival Retreat: Conifer, CO
An Immersive Natural Movement® Lifestyle Retreat
August 26, 2022 – August 28, 2022
Come learn survival skills and then put them to the test in a safe and inspirational setting under the guidance of a highly experienced teacher and MovNat practitioner!
This event will be an immersive, hands-on experience. You’ll learn the skills necessary to survive from the perspectives of an ancient hunter gatherer scout and a modern minimalist backpacker caught in a 48+ hour survival situation.
The skills that will be taught are situational, but can include:
- Primitive shelter building
- Modern and primitive fire making techniques
- Water collection and treatment
- Species identification and use
- Natural navigation and land mapping
- Efficient movement and teamwork as well as discussions about environmental adaptations as a method of healing and a strength inducing practice
You’ll walk away with the confidence and understanding of what it takes to be a part of the natural world in a simple, yet tough experience you will never forget!
You will also walk away with the minimalist kit that will be supplied at the start of the course, which will include:
- Wool blanket
- Rain poncho
- Boil cup
- Bushcraft knife
- Ferro rod (metal match)
- 550 cord (about 30 feet)
Day 1 – 8:30 am start time
– Meet and greet. Plus, discussion about the priorities of survival during a short term scenario
– Minimal pack set up
– Natural Movement with mixed in species identification and use of medicinal plants
– Lunch break around noon
– Shelter building: shelters will be constructed according to the environmental demands and will be used that night
– Morning wander and discussion
– Address water needs in the wild and modify shelter according to the overnight experience
– Fire craft, including: Friction fire from hand drill and bow drill… rock and steel… ferro rod
– Coal burn container
– Dinner, discussion, tea, and sleep in modified shelters
-Final discussion and analysis
-Finished by 12pm
Meet Your Instructor
Roary Kiah is a Level 3 MovNat Certified Trainer, survival expert, NOLS Wilderness First Responder, professional guide at Evergreen Wilderness Guides, and teacher of outdoor adventure camps for youth. Roary began practicing primitive skills at a young age and went on to study at Aboriginal Living Skills School to acquire a primitive and modern fire making techniques certification.
A self-professed “wannabe Neanderthal,” Roary is passionate about living a nature-immersed lifestyle and helping people reconnect to themselves through survival skills, Natural Movement, breathwork, and deep nature.
From Danny Clark, MovNat Master Instructor:
“Roary is a tidal force of nature and, truth be told, just to be in his presence is an epic experience in itself! His exuberance for Nature and practicing/applying survival skills is absolutely contagious. His teachings make becoming connected and comfortable in Nature a practice where toughness, rapture, and confidence merge effortlessly. I really look forward to attending this event as a participant and being a student of Roary’s!”
What To Bring
- Appropriate clothing for being out in nature all day
- Notebook and pen
Participants will be tent camping and/or staying overnight in a debris hut.
Note: Breakfast and lunch will be brought in by the participants. Dinner is not included in the cost of this event, but will be made available on-site at additional expense. Your instructors will be in touch to collect fees, and rest assured that expenses will be kept to a minimum considering we will choose healthy organic options. More details will be emailed to participants in advance of the event’s start date.